James Britt wrote on 8/18/2005 11:33 PM:
> (My biased take is that this is something Pythonitas
> like to toss out about any language that allows more than one way to do
> anything.)

imho, this completely alienates newbies from the language.

when i first learned perl ten years ago or so i did something like this:

$_=$text # do something with $text
if ($text eq "test)
{
   print "matched"
}

and it worked. nobody called me names. said i was doing it wrong, etc.

after i learned more perl that kind of thing changed a few steps and i
ended up writing it this way:

$_=$text # do something with $text
print "matched" if /test/i

if i 'tossed out' any language that allowed tim toadie and did it
Python Approved way i would have to learn all the intracasies of
python before being able to write Proper Python Code.

as it turns out NONE of my python code did followed the  'there's only
one way to do it' mantra . i solved that problem though. i stopped
using python

with ruby, i'm SURE that using yield more will give me shorter and
more efficient code. in the mean time i can Get Things Done by writing
ruby code that works for me and so far seems to be a perfectly
acceptable tim toadie...

--
http://home.cogeco.ca/~tsummerfelt1
telnet://ventedspleen.dyndns.org