Hi everybody,

just to add that I had the same problem on my XP machine: following
your suggestions I noticed that further to the default ones my
protocols listed Google Desktop and PGP so I got rid of the latter and
my ruby sockets started working perfectly.

Thank you everybody for your helpful postings!

-- Marco --