Ben Giddings wrote:
> On Thursday 18 August 2005 17:07, Joe Van Dyk wrote:
>
>>Which is better, Python or Ruby?
>

> (checks the mailing list)
>
> Um... Ruby?
>
> But seriously, Python and Ruby are so similar that it will be really hard to
> make a really compelling argument.  I'd go with a few things.
>
> 1) Are there people there that miss Perl, or have found Python not as well
> suited to what they're doing as Perl was?  Ruby's Perl-like roots may come in
> handy.  I think Ruby is a much more suitable language for certain tasks than
> Python because of its Perl roots.

I find this somewhat baffling.  I'm aware that Matz was influenced by
certain aspects of Perl, but I really don't see any alleged "Perl roots"
when coding Ruby.  (My biased take is that this is something Pythonitas
like to toss out about any language that allows more than one way to do
anything.)  There are things common to both languages, but not unique to
  the pair.

I used Perl for several years, and was fairly evangelistic about it with
others.  I heard about Ruby, was initially put off, gave it another try,
and never regretted it.

I recently had to go poke through some Perl code, and it was truly
foreign.  If there were any essential similarities with Ruby, they
eluded me.

I wouldn't try to lure Perl developers to Ruby with any suggestions that
they can go write Ruby code with a Perl mindset or style. That's asking
for trouble.

> Tasks like modifying a bunch of files in
> place, anything dealing with regular expressions, etc.  Find the old Perl
> hackers and show them Ruby, see what they think.

That's not possible in Python? (Real question; my Python is vague.)

James