Joe Van Dyk wrote:
> Which is better, Python or Ruby?
>
> (ha, just kidding)
>
> I've been fighting the good fight inside a really large corporation
> trying to get Ruby on the "approved" list.  I've brought this up a
> couple times in the past on this list and have got some good
>
> Perl used to be the language of choice for certain application
> domains.  Then, a few years ago, Python was seen to be better than
> Perl, so Python was added to the "approved" list.
>
> As there's an interest in reducing variability in software systems in
> the company, any addition to the approved list has to have some pretty
> good reasons as to why the addition is needed.
>
> I have a couple main reasons why I prefer Ruby over Python:
> 1)  Simple to extend existing applications written in C with Ruby.
> 2)  Great syntax
> 3)  Blocks
> 4)  DRb
> 5)  Rails
>
> I don't think that's enough though, as #2 is pretty subjective and
> there's probably an equivalent to DRb in Python and Rails is probably
> way too bleeding edge (and I don't do web development stuff here).  #1
> is probably the most compelling reason.

What makes Rails so appealing is that it is *not* bleeding edge.  Rails
takes a variety of good ideas that have been tried and tested under a
variety of circumstances, and makes them easy to use.

(That's not to say Rails doesn't incorporate advanced coding or smart
design; clearly it does, but the user need not be concerned with any of
that until he or she so desires.)

Even if you don't do Web stuff, you can hold up Rails as an example of
how Ruby helps make one build tools to help others be more productive.
Ruby enables productivity bootstrapping because how how well it allows
one to create DSLs.

> I obviously don't want to push for Ruby as a replacement for Python,
> that would never work.  I'm pushing for Ruby to be available for use
> in addition to Python.  So, I think the question is: "Why would you
> want to use Ruby in a situation where Python is available?"

Higher productivity.  Ruby fits my way of thinking better, so I spend
less time pushing against the language.

Put it another way:  What's so bad about getting paid to use Python?

James