Hi ..

On Fri, 2005-08-19 at 01:24 +0900, Brock Weaver wrote:
> Showing off ruby to a coworker, and I want to emphasize how succinct yet
> clear it can be.  ...
> Here's my first solution:

> Any ideas?

I know that this is kind of heretical, but in a situation like this, I'd
rather use a shell script (I tend to inexpertly use zsh).  In this case,
the simple solution is something like:

$ a=(*.mp3)
$ for f in $a; do
mv $f `basename $f .mp3`.temp
done

Pretty easy to read (I'd say more so than the Ruby, IMO) and almost a
one-liner.  An easy idiom to remember, no editing required.  If you need
to reverse it, then up-arrow and change the lines (or use another
variable, if needed).

However, if I had to do this as part of a larger project done in Ruby,
then I would have no hesitation to take the Ruby route (and I have done
almost exactly this at times).

My $0.02

Regards,

--