> I came to this mailing list in search of a community. :)

Hey, I just joined the list today, but I'm going to try to help you here.

> I am primarily a web developer, so obviously Rails interests me. However,
> since my background is in ColdFusion and I still have room to develop there,
> I'm not sure if I want to start playing with Rails as my first steps in
> Ruby. So, I'm wondering what kind of ideas and suggestions you guys have.

I learned rails by implementing a TODO list interface with all the
bells and whistles (AJAX, Javascript Effects, etc.)  Perhaps something
like this would interest you

> But speaking of Rails, how easy is it to find some Rails-supported hosting
> out there?

I found it to be pretty easy myself.  I use OCS Hosting
(http://www.ocssolutions.com/ruby-on-rails.php) and they are OK. I
don't think I'm going to want to keep my site up there once it goes
into production, as I'm extremely concerned about performance.

There are several other hosters out there that will accomodate you.
Just good for "Ruby on Rails Hosting"