On 8/17/05, why the lucky stiff <ruby-talk / whytheluckystiff.net> wrote:
> Phil Tomson wrote:
>
> >BTW: Kudos to the gem-folk, here's a quote from the article:
> >"Installing both Rails and Django is fairly easy once you've got the
> >relevant interpreter installed. Ruby can make use of the excellent Gems
> >system, which is something Python (and to be fair most other languages
> >including Java) would do well to mimic."
> >

> Also recently spotted this praise:
>
>   http://dirtsimple.org/2005/08/ruby-gems-python-eggs-and-beauty-of.html
>
> I had no idea you could serve gems directly with gem_server.  That's
> stupendous.  I mean it.  That's really stupendous, everyone.

Yea, I think we haven't done a good enough job of publicizing this
fact.  You know, I assume, about gem_server serving rdoc, right?  The
funny thing is that we added the rdoc feature as a nice-to-have, but
the real reason for gem_server was to actually serve gems.  We did
this on day 2 of RubyConf 2003 and it's been there ever since.

Way down on my TODO list for a long time has been to create a
Rendezvous/DNSSD/Bonjour-enabled version of the gem_server, so you
could dynamically discover and search gem_servers on your local
network.  That might be a fun hack before or during RubyConf to play
with when we're all together.

--
Chad Fowler
http://chadfowler.com