I see this has been suggested before, in [ruby-talk:126986] and [ruby-
talk:127097], but with no followup reports of success or failure.

How would I patch ERB so that puts and print were aliased to
concatenate onto the current eoutvar? This aliasing should be setup
at the beginning of #result, and removed at the end of #result.

Has anyone tried this already? Is there any compelling reason why
this shouldn't be done? (I know I was bitten by this a lot as an ERB
newb, and I've seen many others with similar complaints.) For the
rare case where stdout is needed (or any other IO) an explicit call
like $stdout.puts can be used instead.