While I agree sometimes a full-blown Ajax solution is needed, one of
the problems I have with
relying on JavaScript too much is (AFAIK) your site cannot be indexed
by google very well.  Given
that palmsphere.com relies heavily on traffic from the major search
engines, we really had no choice
but to minimize the use of Ajax and use it only as "icing".

Any ideas on how to have a full-blown Ajax site that is "googlable" ?

--Dave.