Rick Nooner wrote:
> Yesterday at work we took an analysis program written in ruby that we had been
> running on a Solaris box (Sunblade 1500, 1 Gig RAM, 1.5 Ghz Sparc) and moved
> it to a windows box (HP D530, 1 Gig RAM, 2.8 Ghz Pentium) to do performance
> comparisons.
>
> The analysis builds a profile in memory of over 3.6 GB of data on disk.  On
> the Solaris box, it takes about 35 mins and uses about 700 MB of RAM.  It
> would not complete on the windows box using the full data set, bombing with
> "failed to allocate memory (NoMemoryError)".  There was nearly 800 MB of
> RAM free on the windows box as well as having a 4 Gig swap available.
>
> Is windows that inefficient with memory allocation or is this a ruby
> implementation issue on windows?
>
> Before anyone asks, I would have done the comparison on a linux box if I
> had one available since what I really wanted to know was the speed boost
> that a Intel processor would give me.  I didn't have one readly available,
> though.
>
> Thanks,
> Rick

My only experience with this is through SQL Server 2000. Large processes
  were not completing even though the machince had plenty of memory. Our
theory was that it was a combination of NTFS and deframentation of the
swap file. It seemed as though NTFS security was trying to keep track of
everything and using even more memory. The swap file also could not
respond fast enough to the calls because SQL Server was busy on the same
disks. What we did was take and old 9gb scsi disk with FAT32 and set the
swap file on to it. Not a perfect solution but it worked.

--

Tesla -