"Pe?a, Botp" <botp / delmonte-phil.com> writes:

> Christian Neukirchen [mailto:chneukirchen / gmail.com] wrote:
>
> #> How do i install rails to a pc that does not have an
> #internet/network connection?
> #
> #Why don't you simply get the .tar.gz?
> #
> #http://rubyforge.org/frs/?group_id=307
>
> Yap. That was my first reaction, but
>
> 1. consider the bytes load, gems are lightweight. And you just need ruby.

*Well*, that's not exactly true.  Note that the rails.tar.gz contains
the complete dependecies, i.e. Active* etc.  The rails gem only includes
the helper scripts and depends othe the other libraries.

And if you can't unpack the .tar.gz, you can just get the .zip.

> 2. am just naively following rails howto. It says, go gem way, so i go.

If they didn't want you to use it, they wouldn't publish them.
For you, I just hope the rails howto doesn't tell to jump out of the
window. :-P