From: "Bradley Kite" <bradley.kite / gmail.com>

> When I posted my original question, I had no idea that the later
> conversation would contain such passion, humor, sarcasim and
> personal insult.

It's Usenet.  There's one in every crowd.

> Based on my experience of Ruby (which no doubt has been partly
> determined by my experiences with other languages) I can honestly say
> that it offers me little that is new/unachievable in other languages.

<smile> Well for any Turing-complete language, there's nothing
technically achievable in one that isn't also achievable in all
the others.

The one thing Turing-completeness doesn't cover is the number
and/or degree of headaches the programmer is subjected to before
the desired achievement is accomplished.

From what I've read from other Rubyists, and from my own
experience, many of us use Ruby because we find it more fun and
more productive than other languages we've learned so far.

(For me, that's Forth, C, C++, Java, Perl, Python, and Smalltalk.)

Best wishes to you in whatever language YOU find most fun and
most productive.  It's not going to be Ruby for everyone, it just
is for a lot of us.

Regards,

Bill