Well I really had no idea of how much emotional ettatchment people had
to their languages of choice.

When I posted my original question, I had no idea that the later
conversation would
contain such passion, humor, sarcasim and personal insult.

Any way, my orginal post stemmed from my curiosity with regards
to what Ruby was trying to achieve:

>> I'm a relatively new Ruby programmer, I am curious as to what Ruby is
>> trying to achieve that other scripting languages do not already offer (Apart
>> from the syntactic differences of yet another scripting language, that is).

The highly non-real-world and simplistic benchmarks were not meant to
provoke the zeolots, but rather well displayed my lack of understanding
for what Ruby was trying to achieve. Of which I still dont quite understand.

Based on my experience of Ruby (which no doubt has been partly
determined by my experiences with other languages) I can honestly say
that it offers me little that is new/unachievable in other languages.

That said, RAILS as a frame-work is very well thought out and has
well-understood and communicated goals and I'm sure that many more
quality software products will be built using Ruby.

Good day and fare-well to you all.

--
Brad.