On Tuesday 16 August 2005 6:01 pm, Isaac Gouy wrote:

> Sometimes it's none of those things, sometimes it takes a couple of
> conversational turns before we are all clear what the real questions
> are.
>
> http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.ruby/msg/613e239d096f7138?hl=en&

"Real questions"?  A real question is a question that someone asks.  It's
generally safe to assume that the question someone asks is the one that they
want to have answered.  You may think you know better than they do what
question they truly want answered, but that's a different issue.

> Is debate the only form of conversation that's acceptable here, or can
> there be discussion without winners and losers?

I said nothing of winners or losers.  And I stand by my statement that
answering a question with a question, as in your prior post is a
circumlocution.  It's useful if you don't have a good answer, especially if
you want to imply that you have a superior understanding without actually
saying anything useful, but it's a lousy way to have a conversation.

And that's about as far off topic as I personally want to carry this.  It's
time to make dinner for the kids and then go write more Ruby code (had to get
Ruby into the post somewhere).

Kirk Haines