On Wed, Aug 17, 2005 at 08:17:07AM +0900, Lothar Scholz wrote:

> BD> for good measure.  I'm pretty sure the GC algorithm is different on
> BD> Windows, though I can't remember the details now.
>
> No its exactly the same. Remember that the ruby GC has an extremely
> dumb implementation.
>
> The problem is MSVC runtime. It is well known to be fragmenting. There
> are many drop in replacements. Programs with large datasets should
> never use the default malloc/free.

I looked at Ruby's allocator and Lothar is right.  It's just a wrapper
around malloc/free.

Also, if it can't allocate memory, it then runs the GC and tries again.
If it fails a second time, it gives up and throws an error.

This means that calling the GC explicitly won't do any good since it'll
have the same effect as just letting the allocator take care of it.

Rick

--
Rick Nooner
rick / nooner.net