Hi Isaac,

I've paid attention to some of the discussions on the shootout here,
but I'm not sure that I've ever had any of my basic questions
answered.  Maybe you can answer them.

The site lists as its goal, "to learn about programming languages,
compare their performance in various (possibly meaningless) ways and,
most importantly, have some fun!"

What is it that we are learning about programming languages?

What do we gain from comparing performance in "various (possibly
meaningless) ways?

I don't think that I've learned much from the shootout, but it may
well be that I'm missing something.  I do that a lot. :)