In article <200508160946.51724.khaines / enigo.com>,
Kirk Haines  <khaines / enigo.com> wrote:
>On Tuesday 16 August 2005 8:45 am, Jared Nuzzolillo wrote:
>

>> I would LOVE to use Ruby for this new venture; the agility and efficiency
>> it will provide will be vital to our success. But, my biggest fear is that,
>> when I need to hire help (probably two more programmers in the next six to
>> eight months), I will be unable to find experienced Ruby practitioners. I
>> am familiar with the "Python Paradox" and I agree with the concepts behind
>> it, I am just wildly ignorant of the market conditions down here in South
>> Florida.
>
>> Most likely, I would have to have on-site programmers (I don't know that I
>> would have success in convincing my partners otherwise). When I start
>> searching for help in six to eight months, will I be able to find two or
>> more programmers in a timely manner (say, a month or so from when I begin
>> searching)? Have you had trouble finding Ruby programmers? Have you had any
>> luck enticing ruby hackers to relocate to your area?
>
>It may be a difficult sell, but having worked for many, many years in various
>sorts of telecommuting positions, it can work well with the right people.  I
>do contract work now, and while travel is an option, I've found that I can do
>almost everything that I need to do via telephone and internet.  So while it
>may be a tough sell to your partners, I wouldn't rule it out completely.  It
>can work well.
>
>As for entincing ruby hackers to relocate, I think that most people's
>experience in that area is still too new.  Except for small, occasional
>examples, Ruby does not have a lot of history as a mainstream language in
>primary use by companies, especially those offering relocation as part of
>their compensation package.
>
>Given a good enough job, though, Ruby programmers are just like anyone else;
>some of them will certainly relocate for a good job.

Since this is South Florida we're talking about, I suspect that if you
advertise in the December to February timeframe you'll find lots of eager
takers.  However, advertising right now (near the height of hurricane
season) may not be as fruitful.  Every new hurricane that forms out there
will offer too much negative publicity for your area.

Yes, South Florida sounds enticing - IF I could live there from November
through May and spend the rest of the year somewhere else ;-)

Phil