------art_1495_14189477.1124209913069

Brock,

Bear in mind that my viewpoints have evolved since I crafted my list. At the
time, I associated a languages flexibility with it's inheritance model: i.e.,
languages with prototype-based inheritance always seemed far more flexible
to me. Ruby has since proved that class-based languages can be just as
flexible and expressive as prototype-based languages, but I still feel that
prototype-based languages have a certain conceptual elegance that is lacking
in class-based alternatives. The other issues are really minor, but to put
them briefly: 1) I really miss the object literal syntax from javascript 2)
I love the way Io ( http://www.iolanguage.com/ ) allows you to grab a hold
of the message tree and modify, remove or defer nodes of it at will 3) I
love the transparent futures of Io...

Mind you, I've considered switching to Io, but I haven't used it enough to
really know whether the differences would make it worthwhile. Somehow, I
doubt it; there is just too much to love about Ruby, including this amazing
community.

Thanks,
Jared