On Tuesday 16 August 2005 8:45 am, Jared Nuzzolillo wrote:

> pages and client side DHTML for 6 years now. While many would scoff at the
> idea of professional software being written in javascript, it is a very
> dynamic, agile language and has served me quite well. But when I found
> Ruby, I almost instantly fell in love. It almost felt as if Matz looked at
> my top ten language features list and implemented eight or nine of them.

If you haven't seen it, you should take a look at ruby.js.  It's a very
interesting implementation of a chunk of Ruby's core classes in Javascript.
Using it is almost like writing Ruby in JS.  And even if one does nothing
more than look at it, it is educational.

> I would LOVE to use Ruby for this new venture; the agility and efficiency
> it will provide will be vital to our success. But, my biggest fear is that,
> when I need to hire help (probably two more programmers in the next six to
> eight months), I will be unable to find experienced Ruby practitioners. I
> am familiar with the "Python Paradox" and I agree with the concepts behind
> it, I am just wildly ignorant of the market conditions down here in South
> Florida.

Put some feelers out locally and see what kind of response you get.  Find a
small project and advertise for people.  Ruby is currently seeing a lot of
exposure, and the number of people who consider themselves Ruby programmers
is growing daily.  That number will be much higher in 8 months than it is
today, I have no doubt, but without spending a lot of money, you and your
company should be able to get some idea of what sort of base you're starting
with.

> Most likely, I would have to have on-site programmers (I don't know that I
> would have success in convincing my partners otherwise). When I start
> searching for help in six to eight months, will I be able to find two or
> more programmers in a timely manner (say, a month or so from when I begin
> searching)? Have you had trouble finding Ruby programmers? Have you had any
> luck enticing ruby hackers to relocate to your area?

It may be a difficult sell, but having worked for many, many years in various
sorts of telecommuting positions, it can work well with the right people.  I
do contract work now, and while travel is an option, I've found that I can do
almost everything that I need to do via telephone and internet.  So while it
may be a tough sell to your partners, I wouldn't rule it out completely.  It
can work well.

As for entincing ruby hackers to relocate, I think that most people's
experience in that area is still too new.  Except for small, occasional
examples, Ruby does not have a lot of history as a mainstream language in
primary use by companies, especially those offering relocation as part of
their compensation package.

Given a good enough job, though, Ruby programmers are just like anyone else;
some of them will certainly relocate for a good job.

Kirk Haines