On Tuesday 16 August 2005 7:33 am, David Teare wrote:
> Thanks Tom for those kind words.  We tried very hard not to fall into
> the
> trap of "Everything Ajax".  Ajax should, IMHO, only be used to make the
> site easier to use, not for any core functionality.  For the most
> part, the
> majority of PalmSphere will still work if JavaScript is disabled (we
> still have
> work to do in this area...).

Tangent proximity alert!

Okay.  Ajax.  In general, I agree that Ajax is best used as an accent.
However, one of the opportunities that Ajax provides is the ability to write
web applications that will run on a standard browser, but which act more like
desktop applications.  One of my clients is a construction company that has
to schedule work crews and employees on a bunch of projects every week.
Doing this on paper is a hassle, but with a Ajax powered Ruby web app, it's
fast and easy.  Select a project and an employee, and a box comes up to enter
start time and scheduled hours.  Enter those, and it pops up in the schedule
grid.  Click on a box in the grid, and a form opens up to enter the
information for that guy/project/day.  Edit or delete the information, and
the changes go out to the grid.

Ajax lets the application work faster because the amount of data moving back
and forth between the client and the server is limited to actual state
changes for most of the life of the user's session.

So, there are times and places where extensive use of Ajax is just the thing
to make the project work and the client smile.

Kirk Haines