On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 01:12:46 +0900, James Britt wrote:

> BearItAll wrote:
>> Hello.
>>
>> While learning Ruby rails I just had it on my Linux server and used a
>> Linux client to edit/view/debug/debug/debug.. etc. We got along very
>> nicely, much better than I have with any other web development
>> environment. (HTML and I simply don't like each other).
>>
>> Anyway I got web space on an ISP that supports ruby rails, the big
>> difference is that on my local server I ran rails from the script
>>
>> script/server
>>
>> Then access with the likes of http://web:3000
>>
>> My ISP seems to be running it as background process. Which seems sensible
>> because I don't want to have to keep a ssh terminal open just so I can
>> keep the site up.
>
> Forgive me if I've so missed your question that I'm casting in the dark,
> but have you read the assorted Rails tutorials at rubyonrails.com, and
> do you know the difference between WEBrick and, say, Apache?

Yes, sorry, I wasn't being dumb really, well I was but in a forgivable
way, I knew that on my ISP rails was running as in the Apache environment,
but I was having such trouble getting even a 'Congratulations you have
ruby on rails' page out that I was starting to think that I maybe should
still be using a specific port for rails.

But I am certain now that my web space is incorrectly set up, I have
written to my ISP so I'm hopeful that I can get started properly very soon.