Hi Isaac,

Austin 'lead' quite an involved and lengthy discussion about
benchmarks (including the Alioth and Ackermann) just two months ago.
Before you leap into the fray, take a look:

http://www.ruby-talk.org/cgi-bin/scat.rb/ruby/ruby-talk/145390

If you do a google search of ruby-talk.org for 'austin alioth', or
just 'austin benchmarks' you can get even more on his opinion. I
highly recommend reading through the arguments and counter arguments
before we do a complete reproduction here.

But, hey, if you've got something to say beyond all that has already
been said, don't let me stop you :) I'm just trying to save us (and
you) from more of the same-old-same-old discussions.

Dan