On 14 Aug 2005, at 16:09, Christopher Aldridge wrote:

> I walked through the following tutorial and discovered that RingFinger
> from a client will only find ringservers within its subnet:
> http://segment7.net/projects/ruby/drb/rinda/ringserver.html
>
> Is there anyway one could use this package on multiple networks?
> Perhaps a properties file that lists hostnames that could be
> potentially running ringservers?

Easy way:

Place the ringserver on a machine that spans multiple networks.

Hard way:

Adapt ringserver to work with multicasting.  A long time ago I had
received patches from somebody, but I forget who (and I don't think I
have them anymore).

> It's difficult to find english docs on Rinda & Tuplespace :-(

Hopefully I'll be able to work on that after Rubyconf.

> I'm new to it honestly but find it hard to believe that it will only
> work on one lan segment.

Right, that's as far as broadcast UDP packets can go.

FEC2 57F1 D465 EB15 5D6E  7C11 332A 551C 796C 9F04