Ben Giddings wrote:
> On Monday 15 August 2005 13:45, hal9000 / hypermetrics.com wrote:
>
>>RUBY NEWSGROUP FAQ -- Welcome to comp.lang.ruby!  (Revised 2005-4-14)
>

> Hey Hal (and everybody else),
>
> It seems to me the FAQ is in need of a bit of an update.  For one thing,
> Matz isn't really all that a prolific poster (and hasn't been for a couple
> of years).  In fact, according to recent stats he doesn't even make the
> top 10 posters.

Quantity, quality, etc.

> Maybe the question should just be reworded as "Who is this 'Matz' guy that
> people keep mentioning?"
>
> Also, maybe we could reduce the number of duplicate threads on Ruby vs.
> [Foo] and benchmarking Ruby if we addressed them in the FAQ.  Something
> like:
>
> 3. Comparing Ruby and other languages
>   3.1 How does Ruby compare to Python?
>   3.2 How do I make Java-like "Interfaces" in Ruby?
>   3.3 How does Ruby's Object Orientedness compare to Java?
>   3.4 How fast is Ruby?  (and other benchmarking issues)
>
> 3.1

<snip/>

I'm leery of the FAQ having what may be construed as an "official"
position on, or synopsis of, other languages.  Links to assorted
resources, including language home pages, works better for me.

> http://blade.nagaokaut.ac.jp/cgi-bin/vframe.rb/ruby/ruby-talk/125682?125671-126412
>
> (maybe a few more links to classic discussions)

Perhaps

   http://www.ruby-doc.org/RubyEyeForThePythonGuy.html

though I have not updated it in a while.

> *****
>
> Also, should probably have a Rails question/answer in there, so that people
> know about the Rails lists.

And Nitro, and Wee, and many, many other good Ruby applications.

Or maybe just a general explanation of where to look for Ruby code (RAA,
RubyForge, CodeZoo, ... )

James