On Monday 15 August 2005 02:37, Minero Aoki wrote:
> [ruby-dev:26723] reducing #coerce calls
>
>   Tadashi Saito posted a patch which reduces Fixnum#coerce calls in
>   numerical calculation.  This patch doubles calculation speed on
>   average.  Matz accepted this patch.

Nice!  It sounds like this is the best kind of performance optimization you
can get: rethinking a problem and reducing unnecessary overhead.  I wonder
if this will eventually reduce the complaints from people who benchmark
Ruby against Foo and determine Foo is better because it's slightly faster.

Congratulations to Saito-san.

Ben