I think you have run into the XP firewall problem. The same thing has
happened to a few people before and it has usually been  a Zone Alarm
compatability issue. You need to uninstall Zone Alarm or any other
software firewall you have installed. Turning it off will not be
enough you need to completely uninstall it. Zone ALarm and a few
other firewalls on XP interfere with ruby's socket access and causes
the problem you are seeing. Try to uninstall your firewall and try it
again. I know it sucks because xp really needs a firewall but thats
the current state of the issue. Search this list and you will find
other threads about this same subject. Some of them have suggestions
for other firewalls that work with ruby and XP.

HTH-
-Ezra Zygmuntowicz
WebMaster
Yakima Herald-Republic Newspaper