>> May I assume then, that there are only timeslots of full hours?
>
> I assumed that from reading of quiz.  It's probably an over
> simplistic assumption, but I think it will do for this challenge.
> P.S.  Hans, feel free to jump in here and save me at any time...  :D

Isn't the problem in general NP hard? Meaning you have to make some
simplifications to keep the input small, or apply some other
restrictions to get the problem to P.

Of course, it is also possible to generate input for which there is no
solution. Then what? When to loosen bonus targets like regular times for
a person and when to give up?

I think everybody has to figure this out for him/herself.
Moreover, do not restrict the application to people and time, it can be
anything and time (or even boxes and space if you can restrict the space
to 1D meaningfully :)

I can't suppress the feeling that the quiz is meant to pick a "nice"
solution when there's plenty of solutions available. For which you need
(a lot of) example input...

|  all the meaningless and empty words I spoke        |
|                       Promises -- The Cranberries   |
+--- M38c --- http://members.chello.nl/k.vangelder ---+