> > Would it be a good idea to develop a pure Ruby GUI framework built on top
>
> [AWT & SWING]

I, "the SDL guy" am planning to make a copy of Swing for RUDL (SDL). This
is quite limited, because this would run only in one window, or
fullscreen. (The idea is to see the application window as a desktop on
which you can have "pure bitmap" windows, they don't even have a relation
to OS windows anymore.) Anyway, somewhere at the bottom of Swing must be a
link to some drawing routines, and I'm going to convert all the Java code
neccesary to Ruby until I get a window showing :)

> I have yet to see an API for any of these toolkits that is as elegant or
> easy-to-use as the MUI (Magical User Interface) toolkit API from the old
> Amiga or as Swing (although Swing leaves a lot to be desired as well).

I'd like to know the problems with Swing, maybe someone can think up some
good alternatives and we can create The Next Big GUI <:)

> In the end, I think that the best solution is to design GUI API for Ruby, and
> then require toolkit bindings to conform to that API.

Yes, I wonder if I can find the border between... WM and TK? in Swing.

> the user to plug in a variety of subsystems.  The biggest problem is,
> of course, the AWT LCD issue, but I believe that some of Ruby's
> features would help to alleviate these problems.

LCD issue? What's that? Google mentioned Lowest Common Denominator
programming, is it the issue that AWT can only do what all its supported
platforms do and nothing specific? That should be solved in Swing, I
thought?

Bye!