Thanks, I'll keep my eyes open for it.

_Kevin

-----Original Message-----
From: Austin Ziegler [mailto:halostatue / gmail.com]
Sent: Saturday, August 13, 2005 01:45 PM
To: ruby-talk ML
Subject: Re: Ruby PDF text extractor

On 8/13/05, Kevin Olbrich <kevin.olbrich / duke.edu> wrote:
> I notice that Ruby has lots of tools for creating PDF files, are there
> any that let you extract text from a PDF file?

Not yet. PDF::Writer will be refactored a little bit for version 2.0 (coming
out later this year) so that it will be three separate
components: PDF::Core (the core objects representing a PDF object in memory,
as well as rendering), PDF::Writer (the writer/layout code), and PDF::Reader
(read a PDF object into an in-memory representation). Much of the code to do
PDF::Core is already in place (it's currently called PDF::Writer::Object or
PDF::Writer::Objects), but there's nothing explicitly present to represent
this.

PDF::Reader will probably be released in early 2006, depending on how long
it takes to refactor the code that already exists, properly extend it, and
get the necessary PDF::Writer code finished.

-austin
--
Austin Ziegler * halostatue / gmail.com
               * Alternate: austin / halostatue.ca