On 8/13/05, Kevin Olbrich <kevin.olbrich / duke.edu> wrote:
> I notice that Ruby has lots of tools for creating PDF files, are there any
> that let you extract text from a PDF file?

Not yet. PDF::Writer will be refactored a little bit for version 2.0
(coming out later this year) so that it will be three separate
components: PDF::Core (the core objects representing a PDF object in
memory, as well as rendering), PDF::Writer (the writer/layout code),
and PDF::Reader (read a PDF object into an in-memory representation).
Much of the code to do PDF::Core is already in place (it's currently
called PDF::Writer::Object or PDF::Writer::Objects), but there's
nothing explicitly present to represent this.

PDF::Reader will probably be released in early 2006, depending on how
long it takes to refactor the code that already exists, properly
extend it, and get the necessary PDF::Writer code finished.

-austin
--
Austin Ziegler * halostatue / gmail.com
               * Alternate: austin / halostatue.ca