Hello Bradley,

BK> Hi all,

BK> I'm a relatively new Ruby programmer, I am curious as to what Ruby is
BK> trying to achieve that other scripting languages do not already offer (Apart
BK> from the syntactic differences of yet another scripting language, that is).

Why ?

Python <-> Ruby:
Better consistent object modell, no indentation based language, but
Python is without doubt the hardest competitor. And its more or less
the same decision you must do when buying ice cream: Vanilla or
Chocolat ? Just a different flavour.

Perl <-> Ruby:
Perl is so ugly and difficult i don't want to compare it with ruby.
I doubt that it is possible to develop huge Perl programs where you
have a changing team of different programmers working on the same
code.

PHP <-> Ruby:
PHP is only a valid alternative for web development. And it is ugly
and unorthogonal.

TCL <-> Ruby:
Tcl is perfect for embedding it in apps and has a good infrastructure
(libraries, implementation) but the language is terrible unconvenient
for writing larger pure TCL programs.