Bert:

I'm working on (in Java and JDBC terms) a generic Type-4 (protocol
based) JMS Driver. Basically a wire protocol which is capable of
mapping to JMS semantics in a reasonable way. I'm doing the initial
implementation against ActiveMQ ( http://activemq.org/ ) because it
is a) very fast, b) I have access to the source to do it as just
another wire protocol on the (select based) tcp channels there. You
could hook it to SonicMQ (and hence Sonic ESB) via a JMS adaptor
which just understood the wire protocol and translated (to the same
ideas) in JMS api instead of stream based protocol.

It would be pretty easy and straightforward to do a JMS adaptor which
just bridged from a ttmp (working name for the wire protocol)
implementation to JMS. I actually considered this route, but decided
to go the easier way for a first implementation. The protocol is
being specced now, but it is so simple that it is mostly tweaking as
I implement to make sure I don't bind it too tightly to how I use MQ
systems.

Anyway, can follow any talk of work as I talk about it on my blog at
http://blog.skife.org/ (which exists to talk about open source and
related stuff I am working on) and in ActiveMQ's subversion impl. If
you need something really soon, email me directly and I can prolly help.

-Brian

JMX I cannot help much with, on the other hand.