Hi,
I downloaded the 1.6.3 version of cygwin ruby.
I tried some of the xml samples (since I plan to use ruby to manipulate xml)
and found out
that some of them needed the uconv package, therefore I downloaded the
source and tried
to build it. When following the installation and build instruction I got an
error from gcc stating
that the -mwin32 option was not recognized removing this option from the
generated makefile
corrected everything.  However since the makefile was generated this must
have been used for
building the distribution so I wonder what it is?
Benoit
PS
here is the gcc version on my machine:

Reading specs from /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i686-pc-cygwin/2.95.2-6/specs
gcc version 2.95.2-6 19991024 (cygwin experimental)