On Monday 08 August 2005 01:24 pm, manveru wrote:
> i have learned a lot through that tutorial, and maybe i really have to
> buy all the ruby-books at amazon to stay up to date with changes on ruby.
>
> i really would like a kind of php.net (http://www.php.net) for ruby, and
> i am willing to contribute an enormous amount of time into a thing like
> that (but well, i´m a noob - i can´t do that myself)
> is there something like that? (maybe in some alpha-stage?)

There are other (online) tutorials (and dead tree books), but WikiLearn
(http://twiki.org/cgi-bin/view/Wikilearn/WebChanges) is intended to be my
"learning notebook" "project", and I'm always looking for help.

I'm making a renewed effort to learn Ruby, and would like to record my
learnings on WikiLearn.  (I've done more recording of my learnings off line
recently as I've gradually found updating TWiki to be a little slower than
I'd like--one of the things I'm hoping to create with Ruby are some tools to
make such updating much more convenient and faster.)

Part of my goal is to make things simple.  Reading part of Programming Ruby
2nd edition today, I summarized part of the chapter on exceptions as follows:

begin

   <try to do something>

rescue

   <if it fails, do this>

ensure

   < whether it succeeds or fails, do this>

end

(I've got some similar "summaries" that include multiple exceptions, else, and
retry.)

I'd love to have your contributions to WikiLearn.

> i know ruby-docs, but that helps only when you have understood it already
> is there some tutorial on OO itself? so we could use it and write a
> ruby-version of it...

If you (or anyone else) is interested, let me know, or just go to WikiLearn
and start creating pages.  (Eventually I'll move WikiLearn to its own site
(separate from twiki.org), when I do, I'll create (one or more) separate
web(s) for Ruby--for the time being I'll separate the Ruby contents by a
prefix (or suffix) on page names.  (The first thought is simply a prefix of
Ruby.)

regards,
Randy Kramer

PS: One of my "handicaps" has been learning the oop idiom, coming from a
background in procedural type programming, so I'm interested and familiar
with the problems of doing so.  If you're coming from a similar background,
let me know, I think I can come up with some suggestions that might help.