Hello baalbek,

b> I know wxWindows for C++ rather well, and have started to use wxRuby.

b> But after learning about FXRuby, it is apparent to me that there is more
b> activity going on with FXRuby (now at version 1.2.x. wxRuby seems parked
b> at version 0.6, last updated at nov-2002).

Looked at wxRuby yesterday and the last huge checkin was 30 hours ago.
Active but maybe a little bit to active if you want a stable system.
I wouldn't even sure if they now have an API that they want to keep
stable.

b> I don't know FOX/FXRuby at all, but would like to hear someone's opinion
b> of the good/bad/ugly of those two toolkits.

One of the best things is that FOX is that it is without doubt the winner
when it comes to speed problems. Populate the FXTreeList with 10000
items in less then a second ? No problem for FOX. Odr do you want to
put up a complex form dialog in 100 ms - don't try this with QT oder GTK.

And if you ever need to do something special, so you have to modify
the C++ source then you will see that FOX is miles ahead to GTK or
QT's internal architecture.

b> It seems to me that FXRuby is the way to go.

The major problem are no unicode, restricted widget set (no styled
text widget - but scintilla works as third party, no HTML widget), a
really bad implementation of menus and no theming.