[Re: tabbing]

Stephen Kellett wrote:

> [...]
> The idea of pressing tab and having multiple whitespace chars inserted
> is horrible, it makes deleting what should be a tab a multi-delete
> operation. Truly dreadful.

Configure your editor (?)

I press <TAB> to insert 4 spaces ... <BSPC> goes back to indentation
level of line above ... if no line above, it goes to start of line.

<TAB><TAB> inserts 8 spaces, *one* <BSPC> does the same as above.
You soon get used to it when it's predictable.

If I accidentally hit 7 <TAB>s when I meant 6 - tough luck
because there's no way to go back one; so, <BSPC> and <TAB> * 6.

Pressing <RETURN> aligns with current line (that's common isn't it ?).
If you're using "hard tabs", it aligns by inserting a <TAB> character;
"soft tabs" pads with spaces.

The single advantage of "hard tabs" is to save disk space, IMO.

See if there's an editor option (or two) which mentions backspace
behaviour and give it a tweak -- then spread the word ;-)

If you don't have the options, either demand them or change your editor.

Hopefully, everyone's code can then be viewed in everyone's editor.

> Stephen

daz