On 8/5/05, Nikolai Weibull
<mailing-lists.ruby-talk / rawuncut.elitemail.org> wrote:
> Yes, nice analogy ;-).  However, there's a difference between change and
> plain misuse; operator overloading in C++ comes to mind,

Ruby lets you override operators too. In fact, you could say in some
ways it's worse than C++ in this respect, since you can change the
meaning of adding two integers in ruby....

I used to believe in very careful operator overloading, and only when
it preserves the axioms of arithmetic. I disapproved of this:
"foo"+"bar", because it does not meet that criterion. (Tho I
recognized that it could be a useful special case.)

That was before I invented Reg. Getting what I wanted to do done
compactly with pure ruby required giving something up, and that
something was operator overloading. Reg can definitely be said to be
ahh, unorthodox in the extensive use of operators that it makes. And I
wouldn't have it any other way.