On 8/5/05, James Britt <james_b / neurogami.com> wrote:
> Curt Hibbs wrote:
> > I just posted this on my blog (http://blog.curthibbs.us/), but I thought
> > that it was important enough to warrant cross-posting on both the
> > ruby-talk and rails mailing lists (please don't miss my call-to-action
> > in the very last paragraph).
> >
> > Curt
> > ==============
> >
> > O'Reilly's CodeZoo was launched last April supporting only
> > Java, but just two days ago a new release of CodeZoo now
> > includes Ruby and Python!
>
> Please excuse me if I am being denser than usual; I've got server issues
> and am trying to relocate numerous sites, so I've just scanned the text,
> but does this mean Yet Another Place To Look For Ruby Code?
>
> In other words, what is the value in encouraging people to contribute to
> CodeZoo?
>
> There's rubyforge, sourceforge, RAA, freshmeat, personal sites, where
> one may find Ruby code.

I sort of feel the same way.  I'm still relatively new to Ruby, and it
does get frustrating to deal with all the various ways to find
libraries and code.

However, I am encouraged by the reply from Marc Hedlund that suggests
CodeZoo is only interested in publishing active and maintained
projects, rather than just dumping everything they can find.  This
type of site does not exist in the wild.  Much of what is currently
found on RubyForge et al. is 'dead wood'.

I hope though that they clean out projects that die after entry into
CodeZoo, otherwise it will end up in the same situation eventually.

Jason