Jeff Wood ha scritto:
> I'm not saying there are NO features of python that are cool... I like
> their list comprehensions
>
> but, I do dislike the whitespace formatting extremely.

not that this is important, but I was'nt suggesting indentation based
syntax, which I dislike for reasons (i.e. commenting may mess syntax)
that do not apply to implict terminators.

Anyway, I'm not really advocating this, see the 3rd word in the subject ;)

<snip>

> [ item*2 for item in items ]
>
> which is the same as:  items.collect { |item| item*2 }
>
> I think their version is more readable...
>
> but beyond that, they have a cool conditional clause for the comprehensions..
>
> [ item*2 for item in items if item > 2 ]

items.cool_method_name {|item| item*2 if item > 2}

is quite doable in ruby, just collect when yielding gives you a
meaningful result, there are quite a bit of solutions.
cool_method_name is often suggested as compact_map, map_filter,
select_map and others, try googling for them.

BTW, python's generator expressions are much cooler ;)