On 8/4/05, Ara.T.Howard / noaa.gov <Ara.T.Howard / noaa.gov> wrote:
> > diff -qr | grep '^Only'
<snip>

> the way i read the OP's post the original contents should be stored and
> alterable.  the diff approach would require both directories to exist and be
> stored and i think the OP wanted to store only the __inventory__ of the dir -
> not the actual dir.  so not only would the storage/database requirements
> skyrocket, but you'd be using a sledgehammer to pound in a mini-tack.

Ok, I forgot about that constraint. I still think diff would be the
exact tool I would use when on a *nix system:

# Done once to build the list compared against
$ find master_dir/ > master.list

# Done each time to verify all files are there in the working copy
$ find working_dir/ | diff master.list -

I'll admit that once you start getting into pipes and such this
solution probably won't work, or at least not as easily, on Windows.

Jacob Fugal