Ara.T.Howard wrote:
> how about something a little more mathematical
>
>   f <- {|a = 42| p a}
>
> or even
>
>   f <= {|a = 42, b <= {p 42}| p a; b.call }
>
> so <- or <= mean 'function assignment'

Ugh. It's still assigning a value to a variable. Why should the syntax
be different when the value has a different class? I'd rather stick with
proc or lambda, or, more generally, have some special syntax for
instantiating a proc rather than for assigning a proc.

Think about what appens when you refactor:

  f <- {|a = 42| p a}

  b = get_a_proc_from_something
  f <- b

oops, error. Now it has to be:

  f = b

Also, what about method arguments?

foo({|a=42| p a})

Does this need special syntax to resolve an ambiguity? I haven't
followed the thread well enough to know the answer...