Hello Kirk,

>> Exactly. I run into it when i wrote a script yesterday helping me to
>> send out some mass email. Even with about a few hunderts of email
>> addresses the current SMTP class is running into problem very soon if
>> you use foreign SMTP servers.

KH> I send some email newsletters for clients, and have had absolutely no problems
KH> with this.  A completely unoptimized single threaded process going to a
KH> completely unoptimized sender, constructing dynamic emails (content is

Well it only works if the owner of the SMTP server to which you
connect with smtp.rb has configured its server well. There are many
hosters that add timeouts, restrict sending emails to 100 per day or
do other things that prevents the effective use of his SMTP server.
If you are bound to one of them you have no choice as to run your own
server and talk to the receiving end yourself.

So i'm not talking about technical ruby problems but about common business
policies to run an email server.