On Wednesday 03 August 2005 9:54 pm, James Britt wrote:

> Ah.  Still, I'd like an app that listened on port 25 and knew the HELO,
> and so on, commands, so that there would be no dependency on some
> external MTA.  (This is probably not so hard to do, maybe more a matter
> of time; I think at one point I had to go poking around the SMTP
> protocol so that some bit of code could talk directly to the recipient
> process.

SMTP is simple, so it should not be hard to code one of these, if nobody has
done it before.  I recall a while ago someone released a Ruby project for
creating state engines.  At the time, it seemed to me that tool might be a
perfect way to build a simple MTA.

Postfix or that ilk isn't desireable to me because this is something that I
would like to be able to include directly in certain pieces of software, and
no matter how easy or pretty Postfix is, the fact that it's an external
application dependency introduces an additional knot of complexity that I
don't want to introduce.

Thanks,

Kirk Haines