Dan wrote:
> > [ruby-dev:26616] public method
> >   Seki asked about features like 'public', 'private' and 'protected',
>since He tried to change his
> >   codes in dRuby to check restriction of method calls. In this issue, he
>proposed a new method like
> >   'send', which can't call private methods. Matz will accept his idea if
>its appropriate name is decided.
>>

>deliver
>direct
>dispatch
>issue
>post
>connect
>transmit
>call
>
>Of these, I like "call" the most, but I'm aware of the confusion it
>might cause wrt Method#call.

Please, no!  A lot of those alternatives are just synonyms for 'send', IMO,
and I think it would just add one more unnecessary little detail all Ruby
programmers will need to remember (as in: the difference between 'send' and
'post', or whatever).  If this route *needs* to be taken, I'd much prefer
either:
- giving send a kind of destination-method-type enum, which defaults to
ORing private, protected, and public together
(so that calling send as you would today keeps working as it does now, by
default, but that you can, if you want, specify that it will only call
private, or protected, or private and protected methods...)
- defining additional send_private and send_protected functions that work
just like send but only 'send-to' private or protected methods...

As a newbie, I'm not sure if I'm missing anything in the above, though...

Sincerely,
Martin