On 7/31/05, Joel VanderWerf <vjoel / path.berkeley.edu> wrote:
> Stoyan Zhekov wrote:
> > On 8/1/05, Joel VanderWerf <vjoel / path.berkeley.edu> wrote:
> >
> >>This little script generates a simple web page containing a table of
> >>(name, title, link-to-rdocs) for each installed gem. Could something
> >>like this be incorporated into gem so that each time a gem is installed
> >>you get a nice links page?
> >

> > Try:
> >

> >>gem_server
> >

> > from your shell. By default it listen on port 8808 (try
> > http://machine.with.gems:8808/  in
> > your browser)
> >

> Very nice, but why does it depend on a web server? It's just a static
> page, AFAICT. Does it do something more?
>
> I'd really just like to have a bookmark in my browser so I can quickly
> go to all my installed gem docs. Running a server to do that seems a
> little excessive....
>
> But at least now I realize I should have used gemspec files as input
> rather than regexes.

Hi!  Nice script!  You're right that a static doc page would be a good feature.

gem_server also allows you to serve gems (not just docs), so you can
use a gem_server as a remote gem source.  That's why the web server is
there.

I'll add the static docs links page to the TODO list.

--
Chad Fowler
http://chadfowler.com