Eric Mahurin said:

> My point is that when coding ruby, we are encouraged to use
> duck-typing, but the ruby library itself does not.  Seems kind
> of hypocritical.

It seems to me that much of this encouragement to use duck-typing comes
from other "purists" like yourself, and not from Matz himself, who seems
to care more about pragmatic, usable code and not just purity. While
maintaining some amount of purity is certainly a worthwhile goal, it
should not eclipse usability.

I think that flexible methods like String#[] can be pretty useful, though
I'll admit the semantics can sometimes break the POLS. But not very often.

Ryan