------art_345_15366044.1123103166170

 While reading through 99 messages in a thread about "Rails as a
first language", I noticed several wistful references to smalltalk and
lisp.

I put this note at the end of the thread but I guess people had stopped
reading
the thread so here is my note at the head of its own thread.

I am a ruby enthusiast. But I cannot let go of both lisp and smalltalk.

The good news is that really good books and working environments have
recently become available for both languages.

For smalltalk see:
http://smallwiki.unibe.ch/botsinc/

This book uses a modified squeak environment.

For lisp see:
http://www.gigamonkeys.com/book/

Examples use LispInaBox and introduce 'slime' in emacs.

My guess is that people who read 100 messages in this thread will be
interested in marketing FOSS.
My friend, Mo, has just published a killer marketing book targeted to busy
people who could benefit from free open source software. Mo presents many
scenarios depicting how FOSS is very useful. Unfortunately, he is not a
programmer and has no scenarios based on ruby or rails. Check the book out
and if you think it is headed in the right direction send Mo or me some
scenarios.

http://freedomsoftware.info/

John

------art_345_15366044.1123103166170--