the /sw/bin and /sw/sbin concern me.  Do you use fink?  Did you ever
install ruby with fink?  is there anything under /sw related to ruby.
Did you compile and install your own ruby?  When you ran 'ruby
setup.rb' did you run it with sudo or logged in as root?

Also, when your gem install failed, did you still have the Apple
provided ruby in your path?  Quite possibly gem could have installed
to /usr/local but still be pointing at /usr.  I've had this problem
before.

Once you've got /usr/local/bin ahead of /usr/bin in your PATH, then
untar a  new copy of the RubyGems distribution and run ./configure
again.  Then try to build it.

Also, I see the subject says 10.2?  I wonder if this might be a
problem?  I bet most users here are at least using 10.3, if not 10.4.

Let us know if any of this helps.

Jason