On Wed, 3 Aug 2005 20:13:55 +0900
Julian Leviston <julian / coretech.net.au> wrote:

> I'm not sure how this works, but my path WAS and IS this:
>
> /sw/bin /sw/sbin /usr/local/bin /bin /sbin /usr/bin /usr/sbin /usr/
> X11R6/bin
>
> Which is a bit interesting, because typing ruby -v would echo 1.6.7
> which was kinda weird... because I had 1.8.2 installed. After
> deleting / hardlilnking / symlinking, of course it does 1.8.2... but
> I *STILL* can't get gem installed.
>
> Any further ideas?

I'm still not sure, if gem has install rails or not. The Non-existence of
/usr/local/bin/rails is just ONE circumstantial evidence. Try to find something
like /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rails-x.y.z . This would indicate, that
gem ha successfully downloaded and extraced the rails-gem.

I bet ruby (1.6.7) lays under /sw/bin and the first path wins.
/usr/local/bin/ruby isn't recognized.

try
which ruby

or
type -p ruby

to see, which ruby the shell is takeing.

and do a
find -name rails

under /usr/local.

and do a
find -name rails

under /usr/local. You may have done that already. I don't know.

best regards
ralf