On 8/2/05, Julian Leviston <julian / coretech.net.au> wrote:
> /usr/local/bin appears to be in my path.
>
> I deleted /usr/bin/ruby but not irb, and not /usr/lib/ruby dir  -
> should I delete these?
>
> Julian.

There is no reason to delete Apple's 1.6.x Ruby at all. Just make sure
that /usr/local/bin is in front of /usr/bin in your path:

mark@eMac% echo $PATH
/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/X11R6/bin:/usr/local/mysql/bin:/usr/local/mysql/sbin:/Developer/Tools:.

Since /usr/local/bin is first in the path, apple's ruby will never be
used unless you change your path. Yes, you have to make sure that any
shebangs point to the right place, though. (which is why I use
"#!/usr/bin/env ruby")

Leaving the 1.6.x install there lets you have a compatability version,
since 1.6.x is installed on many many *many* boxes right now.

:/ sorry if this sounds like a rant. I suppose it is, a bit...

cheers,
Mark